Naturalis provides hosting and develops tailored ICT solutions (software and infrastructure) for national and international clients.
Thanks to its combination of research and education sectors, Naturalis databases, and an ICT department specialized in the digitization of biodiversity data, unique solutions are possible. Naturalis also has an extensive network of partners that it can call upon if external expertise or data are required.
An overview of clients:
- Species 2000 (Catalogue of Life)
- Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem (BGBM)
- Museum Boerhaave
- Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs
- EIS Knowledge Centre for Insects and other Invertebrates
- Netherlands Biodiversity Information Facility (NLBIF)
- International Association of Wood Anatomists (IAWA)
- South African Institute for Aquatic Biodiversity (SAIAB)
- Leiden university Medical Center (LUMC)
A good example of a tailored solution developed by Naturalis is the Species List for the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs. This website was made on behalf of the ministry in collaboration with Alterra. It provides a list of species in legislation and policy, and for this use was made of the Dutch Species Register developed by Naturalis. The website was built by Naturalis ICT in a standard CMS from Drupal.