Naturalis Biodiversity Center employs a team of over 100 experts. The team’s strength lies in its unique combination of expertise, skills, equipment and facilities, which are also of value for external parties.
To curate and make a large collection accessible means we have to excell in:
- Collecting: during expeditions or by acquiring private or other collections
- Describing: now also using the DNA barcode
- Managing collections: integrating new specimens into the collection
- Preserving specimens
- Storing: providing safe storage for hundreds of years
- Unlocking information: via our databases and links to other databases
- Lending and exchanging: being continuously aware of the whereabouts of over 37 million objects
- Doing collection-related research and providing education.
Services to society
We assist businesses, government authorities and other organisations in society:
- We help border customs officers who encounter animals and plants that are hard to identify. Or when products from protected species are imported.
- We help determine whether a shipment consists of cultivated or wild hardwood for FSC hardwood certification purposes.
- We help amateur nature societies to build and manage nature information websites.
- We advise jewellers on whether gemstones are genuine.
Other examples of Naturalis Biodiversity Center contributing specific expertise and skills can be found in the box
We envisage many more possible applications of our expertise and skills in the future.
Naturalis Biodiversity Center has a very extensive network of contacts in the field of biodiversity. Nationally, and above all, internationally.
We are pleased to be able to seek recourse to our colleagues’ expertise and know-how if we lack specific expertise in-house. Questions from all walks of life can help point us in the right direction for building new expertise and skills. And we prefer doing this together with others.
Obviously there is a reason why we are offering our services: we want to safeguard and, where possible, expand our unique collection and associated knowledge for future generations. In this way we can ensure that essential information on life remains available and valuable to society as a whole. And that, eventually, will benefit all of humanity.
If you have any questions or want to explore opportunities for cooperation, please contact the Expert Center, Mrs Ate-alma Cohen, tel. +31 - 71 - 56 87 687 or mobile +31 - 6 44 193 182, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or
Mrs Ate-alma Cohen
tel. +31 - 71 - 56 87 687
mobile +31 - 6 44 193 182